Penny Dreadful








Some of you might be wondering what "Penny Dreadful" stands for. According to Wikipedia: Penny dreadful is a pejorative term used to refer to cheap popular serial literature produced during the nineteenth century in the United Kingdom.[...] Whilst the term "penny dreadful" was originally used in reference to a specific type of literature circulating in mid-Victorian Britain, it latterly encompassed a variety of publications that featured cheap sensational fiction, such as story papers and booklet "libraries". 

Our very good friend Angelos kept telling me and raving about Penny Dreadful the TV Series, because he knows very well that I am a huge fan of dark, Gothic stories, like those of Vampires, Werewolves, Spirits, Witches and all those other cursed creatures that crumble on the dark side created by the imagination of Victorian Age writers. I kept postponing it since I had a ton other TV series to watch (my name is Angeliki and I am a TV-series junkie), but now that Netflix arrived to Greece there were no more excuses. After the 1st episode, I was magically consumed by the stories and the atmosphere and I watched the entire 1st season within a single weekend...

One of my favorite cursed fictional individuals of all time is Dorian Gray, created by Oscar Wilde, who is also one of the main characters on the series. Not that I want to be young forever, because I can't and I am totally fine with that, but because his message is so superficial and so deep at the same time. He sells his soul to the devil for eternal youth, but then realizes how lonely that turns out. But I am not going to spoil it for you, I will only encourage you to either read the book or watch the movie or go to the theater. It's a classic, you will definitely find it somewhere!

Can't wait for the 2nd season to be available on Netflix!
Have you watched it? Are you a fan too?

xoxo
|barefoot duchess|

Photos by The Duke